Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Gift of Gratitude

Friday I saw the end-of-her-rope mama and I approached her with unclenched heiney. And that's saying a lot. I practiced for hours at home. I talked to my friends. I sat in quiet contemplation. I processed what gift I could best give; I felt called upon to inspire this mama in a positive, loving way. In a way that would make a lasting impact on her right here, right now with her beautiful children. I breathed often and deeply. I processed and put aside my own baggage of judgment and sat in complete compassion. What would I need to hear from me? What would awaken me and inspire me? Wherein lies the gift? O the Gift. In the swishy quiet I found the answer: a blank card. A blank card with a baggie of Hannah in the bottom corner. I hugged that mama tight, first thing, loving too that desperate part of mySelf. Then I showed her the envelope which reads: A Reminder. I pull out the card and I ask that she, during the happy easy moments, take the time to list some points of gratitude & stash the card in her bag (adding to it constantly). The next time she finds herself needing the corner of the knit shop, she can pull it out, think of Hannah and remember...
She softened instantly. She knows I know. We know there are productive alternatives to destructive thoughts. A reminder is a good thing. Reminders and support and modeling are great things. Kindness in the throes of red-hot-anger is a freakin miracle ♥

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She's been given the greatest gift, Diana. She's been given *you*. Good for you for going for it!